AthleteWord: SMALL STEPS can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE when they follow the RIGHT path.
1 Timothy 4:7-10
Athletes push to get better. They don’t simply “workout.” Athletes train. Working out allows us to move, sweat, and burn calories. But, training implies we are progressing toward a goal.
- What are your goals in 2018?
- How are you training for these goals?
As followers of Jesus Christ we constantly aim to be more like Him. We desire to live like Him. As we grow to live like He did, wouldn’t it be efficient to grow like He grew?
What were the steps Jesus took to grow? Scripture says Jesus grew in four ways.
“And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
- Jesus grew by taking professional steps.
He increased in “wisdom.” God designed us to individually contribute to the advancement of His kingdom through our work in this world. Followers of Jesus aim to develop their unique talents, gifts, and abilities to fulfill the mission of Jesus Christ through their work. As athletes, this means we must train professionally this year.
- Jesus grew by taking physical steps.
He increased in “stature.” God designed us with physical bodies capable of offering spiritual sacrifices of praise. Followers of Jesus aim to keep their bodies pure and useful for God’s work since the Scriptures remind us they are the dwelling place of God’s Spirit. As athletes, this means we must train physically this year.
- Jesus grew by taking relational steps.
He increased “in favor with people.” God did not design us to be alone. Jesus wants His followers to share His love through valuable relationships. As athletes, this means we must train relationally this year.
- Jesus grew by taking devotional steps.
He increased “in favor with God.” This means His relationship with God grew closer. We experience the life we were made to live when we grow in our relationship with our Creator. As athletes, this means we must train devotionally this year.
- What do you want to accomplish this year to honor God through your work and service in this world? Be bold! What would you do if you had all the money, time, and resources you need?
- How could your work be enhanced or limited by your physical health and fitness? How would you define excellent health and fitness for your work?
- What relationships has God placed in your life that matter most? Begin with family, and then think about close friends. Who needs you to be at your best this year?
- How would you describe your relationship with God right now? How would you like to grow closer to God?
- Reflect on your answers above and begin by setting three main goals for each category. Get as specific as you can.