We’ve got your daily encouragement, written by Michael Smith.
1 Corinthians 13:8
“Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.”
Isn’t it amazing how many songs there are that have been written about “love”? Consider:
- In the 60’s, Elvis said he, “Can’t Help Falling in Love with you,” and The Beatles Said, “Love is all you need.”
- In the 70’s, the BeeGees asked, “How deep is your love?” And Karen Carpenter said your love put her “on top of the world.”
- In the 80’s, Stevie Wonder just “called to say I love you,” and Foreigner wanted “to know what love is.”
- In the 90’s, Haddaway asked, “What is love?” And Celine Dion talked about, “The power of love.”
- In the 2000’s, Beyonce said she was “Crazy in love.”
- In the 2010’s, Rihanna “found love in a hopeless place,” and more recently, Selena Gomez said she “loves you like a love song baby.”
Why are we so obsessed with love? We think about it, we write about it, we sing about it, we long for it, and even if we have decent versions of it, we still often long for it to be better as if we somehow know that it has the potential to fail us.
We might love a person, but they could alway betray us or leave us. We might love our jobs, but we could easily lose it tomorrow. We might love our homes, but they could burn down or blow down. We might love our bacon, but too much can cause a heart attack. Simply put, most of the things we love can fail us. However, I find it interesting that scriptures state that God IS Love.
He is love, He embodies love, He created love, and love emanates from Him. God is love. The essence of what we Christians call the gospel is rooted in the fact that God demonstrates His love for us through rescuing us when we had gone astray. The cross is the ultimate (and only) picture of perfect, unfailing love.
God, I pray that I will see opportunities today to express your unfailing love to others you bring in to my life. Open my eyes to the opportunities today. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
Write down 5 ways God has shown His love for you this year?
To receive the Faith Workout of the Day every morning, please sign up here.